The General Manager will work collaboratively with the Artistic Director and the Business Manager. The General Manager reports to the President of the Board. This position is expected to average 15 hours per week with a flexible schedule, and will include a weekly conference call with staff. The position entails some evening hours (bi-monthly board meetings, 6-10 local concerts annually). Some tasks may be done remotely.
Founded in 1954, Camerata has been under the direction of French-born singer and scholar Anne Azéma since autumn, 2008. Camerata’s musical performances are well known for their blending of spontaneity and emotional commitment with careful research and scholarship. With its distinguished roster of singers and specialists in early instruments, Camerata produces a concert series for audiences in the Greater Boston area and also tours across the country and Europe and ranks among the world’s oldest and preeminent early music ensembles.
The General Manager’s responsibilities are to:
- Serve as an enabling contact within the Camerata, coordinating with artistic leadership, vendors and the board of directors
- Act when required as a representative of the Camerata with other organizations, such as associations (e.g. ArtsBoston), presenters, and donors
- Process incoming mail; promptly respond to emails and telephone calls
- Confirm performance dates and venues, including personnel and venue contracts
- Coordinate the ensemble’s activities (performances and other) with the Artistic Director, musicians and the outside world
- Arrange travel, lodging and visas if needed for musicians
- Coordinate and manage self-produced concerts with other staff members including ticket sales, front of house, patron services and group sales
- Maintain hard copy and computer files of basic data needed for grant applications and other activities for the Camerata including mailing lists and programming information
- Oversee marketing and publicity efforts including printed materials, website, social media, and ad sales/shares
- Coordinate program design and production with Artistic Director, graphic designer, and printer
- Maintain CD stock and oversee online sales
- Maintain sheet music library
- Recruit and manage volunteers and interns as needed
- Serve as a point of contact for the board of directors
- Support the development and fund raising activities of the Camerata
- Prepare and send donor acknowledgments
- Provide other assistance as needed to the Artistic Director and President
Initiative, resourcefulness, creativity, flexibility, strong communication skills, a sense of humor, and leadership capability are desirable.
Please email a resume and cover letter (PDF) to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Applications will be accepted through May 18, 2018.